The Parochial Church Council (PCC) of St Edmund Chingford, takes seriously its responsibility to protect and safeguard the welfare of children and vulnerable adults.
This Safeguarding Statement applies to all who make up the church ‘workforce’ which includes all clergy, holders of Bishop’s licence or permission, those commissioned or authorised by the Bishop, those, paid or unpaid, who hold positions of responsibility in a parish and work with children or vulnerable adults, and those with representational parish ministry, for example: churchwarden, organist, server & choir members.
For the purposes of this document the term ‘Parish’ is used to denote the PCC and Incumbent who are together responsible for ensuring that diocesan safeguarding policies and procedures are implemented.
For the purposes of this document a child is anyone under the age of eighteen years.
1. The St. Edmund Chingford PCC has adopted the Diocese of Chelmsford Safeguarding Policy 2014.
A copy of the full relevant policy is obtainable on the Diocese of Chelmsford’s website and a hard copy is kept accessible from the PCC secretary.
2. The Parish Safeguarding Representative at St Edmund Chingford is Debbie Watson and has been appointed by the PCC.
Statement of Commitment
The PCC will develop a safeguarding culture that:
- Creates an environment where there is awareness and vigilance about the signs, symptoms and impacts of abuse.
- Enables and encourages all concerns or allegations to be raised in order to protect children and adults from harm.
- Ensures all those who work or volunteer on behalf of the church with children and adults achieve the standards required by this policy.
- Holds to account those in the church community who disregard the safety and well-being of children and adults
To bring this about we will:
- Formally adopt the Diocese of Chelmsford Safeguarding Policy.
- Review the implementation of the Diocese of Chelmsford Safeguarding Policy annually
- Invite our PSR(s) to attend at least one PCC meeting each year. (At this meeting the PSR will provide a report on Safeguarding for the parish).
- Ensure that all those authorised to work with children and vulnerable adults are appropriately recruited according to safer recruitment practice and are adequately supported.
- Ensure that all those authorised to work with children and vulnerable adults are trained appropriately for their roles, including Diocesan Safeguarding Training.
- Provide appropriate insurance cover for all activities undertaken in the name of the church, which involve children or vulnerable adults.
- Ensure that an Activity Plan and Risk Assessment is completed and reviewed (at least once a year) for each activity, which is associated with either children or vulnerable adults and run in the name of the church.
- Comply with Data Protection Principles – specifically with reference to storing information about the ‘church workforce’, including volunteers, who have completed a confidential declaration and/or undergone DBS checks and for Safeguarding Agreements of offenders and others who may pose a risk.
© 2020 St Edmund, Chingford